Friday, July 30, 2010

Saturday Centus - Tom's Prompt

Jenny Matlock

Tom wrote the prompt this week. I had a difficult time with this short story until I just let my mind go its own direction! Tom, you made us work! The prompt is in bold below.
* * * * * * * * * * * *

When my children were young we did a lot of road trips. Put three kids in a beat-up old sedan and driving six hours is a long time on the road. Six hours spent singing car-aoke and taking in the picturesque scenery, but mostly reminiscing about the good times.

But those days were long gone and my mind was in a different place now. Or was it? My pulse quickened as I passed the road sign which read "Medford 27 miles."


I had not planned on stopping, but maybe I would. Thirty minutes later I turned into the facility.

After the stern-faced guard patted me down, I stepped up to the heavy metal door. “Remember,” he said grimly, “Don’t touch, hug or kiss the prisoners.”

In the long moments waiting for the buzz of the door to release me into the prison visitation room, I smiled to myself.

In the litany of “don’ts”, the guard hadn’t cautioned me against singing.

* * * * * * *

This short, short story is exactly 100 words - not including the prompt.

To read other Saturday Centus stories for week 12, just click here!


post signature

12 comments:

Bookie said...

Hope she wasn't singing Jailhouse Rock!A very nice read on a hot Friday and worth the wait!

Viki said...

I thought this was a very hard prompt but I loved your spin on it. I would never have thought of visiting someone in prison. Great job.

linda said...

I think she must have sung him a breeze with a touch of freedom in it, just so he not forget how it feels.
Great story.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Cool story, Jenny! I love to read a Saturday Centus to read as so many are so clever!

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is awesome...you are breaking rules all the time. :)

Kat said...

I really like this take on the prompt Jenny! Everyone complained about it, but there were some really good stories this week. I wonder what song she chose? Kat

linda said...

And in thinking about it, after reading your story over again, when she sang him the breeze, i think it must have been a breeze that took him away from the prison.

oh boy, i've got all kinds of stuff going on in my head with this one...so i guess that means it is an excellent story for sure.

Tgoette said...

Wonderful job, Jen Jen! You really rose to the challenge with a really great story and excellent use of the prompt.

One question though, who is this Tom guy I keep hearing about?

(evil grin)

~Lissa said...

Hahaha!I absolutely love the ending. Maybe some Somewhere Over the Rainbow would be inspiring for the prisoners.

Pearl Maple said...

Always a good read on your blog. Hope you get those pesky computer problems sorted.

Terra said...

Oh Jenny, I am so glad you got this posted. I giggled at the end - you rebel you!

Tina said...

Good one! I"ve read all but one, and this was unique. But of course, because you're unique :-)