Monday, May 2, 2011

When you're a little kid...

...getting a flat tire is exciting.

When you're an adult...

...not so much!

Three times each week, I meet my Daughter-in-law at the older Grands school to take little Mo to her preschool, about 13 miles away.

Once a week we usually cruise through Dunkin' Donuts to get a donut with sprinkles for her breakfast.


However...

One day last week we started heading toward the donut place and the car felt weird. I quickly hit the information button for tire pressure and saw that the right front tire was going flat. I called Mr. Jenny who told me, "Drive slow, if the pressure drops below 21 pounds pull over and call Triple A so you don't ruin the tire, AND don't go through Dunkin' Donuts...head back this way right now."

I was a little surprised that he knew about the Dunkin' Donut stop each week. I hate when he tracks my activities through our debit card account...grrrr...

I told Morgan the bad news about the donut and she took it pretty well. She was into the whole excitement of the flat tire. "Will we get in an accident? Will we die? Will the car crash?"

I think she was disappointed when I told her it wasn't going to be that exciting, but that we had to watch that number carefully and pull over if it changed from 23 to 21.

"And then what will we do?" She asked, big blue eyes shining with curiousity and excitement.

"We'll call someone to help us, but don't worry, this will be okay."

We drove slowly onwards, both totally intent on the gage when Mr. Jenny called back. "Listen, just take it to the place we bought the tires and they'll fix it."

I agreed and then told Mo that's what we were going to do.

She was quiet for a second and then burst into tears.

I was afraid to pull over in case it made the tire pressure drop, but finally she quit crying long enough to tell me...

"Grandma! If the number isn't a two and a one we can't get a PINKY TOW!"


Apparently, she thought it would be super cool to have a hot pink tow truck come and rescue us. Thinking quickly, I remembered the service shop had a TV and treats!

I told her we would be late to preschool, but we were going to get the tire fixed AND she could have a snack there.

Suspiciously she asked, "Like what?" I told her I wasn't sure, but she really needed to help me watch the numbers!

Her tears stopped, and about fifteen minutes later we slowly rolled into the service shop. Hand in hand we walked inside where she told the owner the animated tale of our flat tire. He squatted down so he could talk to her at eye level and said, "I'll fix your Grandpa's car now, you can watch cartoons with your Grandma. Help yourself to the snacks on the counter."

Oh, she was happy. She ate a rice krispies treat. She ate a fruit roll up. She ate a granola bar. She watched cartoons.

She was mighty sad when the tire was all repaired and we had to go on our way about 45 minutes later.

When we got to her pre-school she cautioned me, "Grandma! Don't tell what happened! I want to tell!"

And...

When we walked into her classroom she said, "I'm late! The best thing happened! My Grandma got a flat tire!"

Little kids.

They are so enthusiastic about everything.

Their world's are so bright.

Even without a Pinky Tow.

post signature

45 comments:

Unknown said...

JDaniel would have love the treats! He would have wanted a blue tow truck if he had to have one.

Arkansas Patti said...

What a cute story. Kind of miss those days when annoyances became thrill rides. At least you got to enjoy it through her eyes.

Donnie said...

It was hard for me to read on past the donut with the sprinkles on it...lol....Cute.

jabblog said...

Oh, how lovely:-) Why do we lose our wide-eyed delight in everything?

Wanda..... said...

It's good to have grandchildren around to add that extra bit of excitement to our day.

Theresa said...

TOO cute... OH to be little again where everything is exciting:) Have a fun day, hopefully pink with sprinkles!

HUGS!

ain't for city gals said...

I think we all need to start our day with a pink doughnut with sprinkles...YUM !

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

We don't have Pinky Tows! What a clever name, I wish I'd have thought of that.

Anonymous said...

So cute! Wouldn't it be great if we kept that adventurous spirit into adulthood?

Teresa

Jeanie said...

That couldn't have worked out any better....unless the tire shop had been next door to Dunkin Donuts.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Yup, kids can find the "silver lining." :-)

"Today, Justice"

ImagiMeri said...

Hey Girlfriend,

That Mo is quite the character! Have a wonderful week.

Love ya,
Meri

Anonymous said...

My kids still talk about "That time when Mom drove the car into the ditch and we had to call a tow-truck to pull us out! That was so fun!"

Not so fun for me, and I wish they would stop bringing it up, but I do understand the excitement of a tow-truck!

Liz Mays said...

That was such a darling story! And I've never heard of a shop with such delectable offerings. No wonder you went there. :)

Deb said...

cute story....gotta love kids...but a piece of advice about stopping with a low or flat tire on the side of the road...don't do it...keep driving to a safe location...a tire is easier to replace than a human life...my MIL was hit by a drunk driver because of this and died when hubby was 9...so our rule always is drive to a safe location...never stop on the side of the road...okay I'm off my soap box...can I have a sprinkled donut now???

myletterstoemily said...

what a darling story! only a grandchild could
make a flat tire that much fun.

Ames said...

You just gave me the chuckle of the day! A pinky tow. Too sweet that Mo of yours, s so innocent. At least she got her snack and got to tell everyone at preschool about the flat tire adventure! ~Ames

fredamans said...

LOL what a cutie patootie!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

You have to love the way children look at things in life we find annoying. She is a sweetie for sure. Now about that sprinkled donut...

Anonymous said...

How sweet. The attention at the tire repair shop and those treats, my oh my what little kid wouldn't love a flat tire experience like that. Mo is just precious! Hugs

21 Wits said...

Aw this was truly sweet and it even brings tears of joy to my eyes...and happiness all in one! Thanks ...aren't children just precious! Imagine a world of adults taking that bit of delay with such happiness! Have a great week Jenny!

Willoughby said...

What a sweet story! I'm sure she made having a flat tire fun for you, too!

Coincidentally, I had a flat tire Thursday afternoon. My daughter and I had just come out of the grocery store when I noticed it. We drove to the gas station so I could put air in it. Turns out you need to pay for air at this particular gas station. Of course, I had no quarters with me (the machine only takes quarters). I got change from the attendant and filled the tire with enough pressure to get home. It wasn't nearly as exciting as what you describe!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

It's all in the prospective baby!!! Think what a wonderful day we would have if we looked at it through the eyes of a child!

God bless and have a glorious day!

Maybe it shall involve a doughnut...with sprinkles! :o)

Jocelyn said...

I can always count on you to pick me up and you did it again Miss Jenny!!!

Life through innocent eyes...yes...as adults I would have been melting down thinking the tire would go flat....but how exciting a PINK Tow truck...now you have given me an idea for a new Business!!!!

Wishing you a Fabulous week sweet friend!!! LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NatureGirl said...

Wonderful the things that kids take delight in! Whenever we get a bad snowstorm here, the kids are always wishing for the power to go out! Sheesh!

Ms. A said...

Had that happened to me, my grands would have been clamoring to escape. (because I would have been unbearable to ride with)

Lourie said...

A "Pinky Tow" now that is cute. Glad you were safe. Keep having those donuts!! It's special for you and your little grand.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I didn't know that Dunkin Donuts had come to AZ! They have the best coffee!

This was a sweet story, Jenny! It is so true that young minds take everything so literally and find excitment in the smallest details.

When we were at my son's home for Easter week I was broiling a steak and the smoke detector near the kitchen went off. MY little grandson got very scared and began crying. We opened a window and then explained to him why the alarm went off and what it means and why it was now OK. Everyplace we went for the whole week he looked for the "smoke detector" on the ceiling and would get upset if he didn't see one. lol In his mind we needed one nearby to stay safe!

Susan Anderson said...

A pinky tow, huh?

heehee

=D

cj Schlottman said...

Jenny, This was some adventure for you and your granddaughter! I'm so glad you have special time with her every week.

The photo of the donut made me drool.......the image of a pink tow truck made me laugh out loud!

Namaste..........cj

Holly said...

Okay. I want one. Not the flat tire, but the adorable, precious, sweet granddaughter. Is she available???

Vicki/Jake said...

Jenny, I see so much of you in that little one:) It's fun watching your adventures...

Dazee Dreamer said...

I love how fun and excited those little grandkids get about things. To think we were once that way.

Sue said...

I believe there is a lesson in there someplace. Something about seeing the good...smelling the roses...not sure, I'm so old I would only see the flat tire!

Sue said...

I believe there is a lesson in there someplace. Something about seeing the good...smelling the roses...not sure, I'm so old I would only see the flat tire!

Moore Minutes said...

You're the best story teller I know...hands down. And actually...there is SO much we all can learn from little kids. We need them around. <3

Amanda said...

Morgan is such a sweetie. After rain comes sunshine. Masterful! :)

Gattina said...

I hope I will be able to write such cute happenings in a few years, when my grandson starts to go to pre-school !For the moment I don't feel like a grandma at all I have seen him only 3 times and now he is 5 months old !

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Forget cloning sheep and cows.....I think we should work on cloning Morgan!

She's hilarious and very detail oriented....and the charm in a young child's literal take on everything.

And pinky tow.......

Terra said...

First of all, the girls and I go for donuts one morning a week every week and have done so since Lauren was 4 and in preschool...so this tradition of yours well, I love it! We have met some super people at the donut shop!

And the drama, oh the drama - can I just say I GET IT!

Busy Bee Suz said...

So funny...everything is an exciting event!!!!!

Rachel said...

Bless - what a sweet story - Pinky Tow or not!

Stef said...

That is seriously priceless. I love kids. They keep us young!!
And, is your Centus story true? I would die....no...correction. He would die.

Betty said...

Yes, it really doesn't take a lot to make them happy sometimes. Ahhhh...to be young again!

Amy said...

Oh Jenny - It is so true! Everything is an adventure for children. We should lasso some of that for ourselves, I think.

MUAH!