Monday, July 14, 2014

It's only words...

...and words are all I have...
 
The Bee Gee's sang that to me years and years ago.
 
For months now, though,  words have deserted me.
 
I've been doing the thing I caution against...
 
isolating...
 
quieting the words inside my heart and soul.
 
I've had a lot of excuses.
 
Or at least excuses that I've told myself.
 
I've been sick.
 
Mr. Jenny has been sick.
 
We've been sad that the Grandlittles we saw many times each week have gone to Ireland.
 
My fingers have been hurting.
 
I...ummm...broke a nail?
 
My office is hot?
 
Ummm.
 
I know there's a bunch more excuses I've told myself,  but I can't remember them all because of the sheer mass of their existence.
 
However.
 
Today I put a post-it on my computer screen.
 
It's a purple post-it so it feels moderately kinda/sorta authoritative...

I'm not sure about the "OR ELSE" part, but I'm willing to obey the purple post-it for now.
 
So here is a post for Monday!
 
Go.
 
Me.
 
What can I tell you of all the stories that have been happening in my life of late?
Ummm.
 
Ummm.
 
I know!
 
We just took a seven day road trip.
 
 
Business and pleasure.
 
We ended up leaving mid-afternoon after a business meeting with our patent attorney.
 
It's the first time I've ever met a patent attorney.
 
Oddly.
 
The two people we met with LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE I IMAGINED PATENT ATTORNEYS.
It was weird.
 
In a cool way.
 
And they were cool.
 
In a weird way.
 
(If you are a patent attorney...Weird is actually cool!  Thank you for your service!)
 
(Darn.  I have forgotten how to write.   Gee whiz.  I hope I remember before Wednesday.   That "OR ELSE" is moderately freaking me out.)
 
Anyway.
 
The patent stuff is pretty new to us in our business and it's fascinating.  It's technical and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages (you get the idea) long with pages and pages and pages and pages (I think you get the idea again) of drawings and diagrams.
 
Anyway.
 
When we left the patent attorney's offices, we stopped at a fast food to change into our comfy driving clothes.
 
And Mr. Jenny asked me to drive.
 
On the freeway.
 
Heading to Las Vegas.
 
Me.
 
Drive.
 
Okay.
 
Do you understand my shock and dismay?
 
Freeway?
 
Phoenix?
 
Although it's not quite as bad as driving through LA or Boston, it's pretty serious traffic.
 
ACCCCK!
 
Anyway.
 
I am nothing if not an obedient wife...
 
(cough, cough, choke, sputter, sputter)
 
So I complied.
 
Willingly.
 
And sweetly.
 
(cough, cough, choke, sputter, sputter)
 
On the beltway heading out of town I was doing pretty good keeping up with the flow of traffic.
 
Mr. Jenny was doing something intense with his Ipad while talking on his cell phone.
 
So...
 
There I was...
 
In the HOV lane...
 
...holding onto the steering wheel in a death grip.
 
Did I mention FREEWAY?
 
PHOENIX?
 
In the lane next to me was a Maserati.
 
 
A black one.
 
In the spirit of full disclosure, I don't know if this was the actual KIND of Maserati.  
 
But it was black.
 
And shiny.
 
And I whizzed past it!
 
I yelled!
 
Mr. Jenny dropped his phone!
 
"Did you see that?!!!!" I shouted, "I passed a Maserati!  I passed a Maserati!"
 
Mr. Jenny was not quite as amazed as I was.
 
I slowed down a little in the HOV lane and the Maserati came zipping by me!
 
"See?   See?!!!!   It's a Maserati!  I passed it!  In the truck!!!!  I passed  a Maserati!"
 
I speeded up and passed it again.
 
I yelled again.
 
Mr. Jenny shook his head,  retrieved his cell phone and reconnected his call.
 
But me?
 
I sat a little taller in the drivers seat.
 
I was driving through massive traffic on the beltway in Phoenix and I passed a Maserati! 
 
And...
 
Well...
 
This concludes my Monday writing exercise.
 
Thirty minutes is up.
 
I'm not even breaking out in hives from actually writing so I think that's a good sign.
 
So, I'll see you on Wednesday then?
 
Okay, technically you'll see me.
 
Because the post-it note says so.
 
And I bow down to the power of a purple post-it note.
 
And the power of poking my head out of isolation a little bit!
 
post signature 

19 comments:

Jeanie said...

None of us wants to know what that "or else" might be so you go girl. Someone who can pass a Maserati can do anything.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You passed a maserati? wow. I am impressed Jenny.
I can't even parallel park. :-)

I have lost the will to blog.
I admire your 30 minutes order to yourself. I haven't in me of late.
:-(

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jenny, I hope you do continue to write as I have missed your voice! It's a very special voice and shares such a special message! And hey, I'm proud of you for passing a Maserati!! Go Jenny!

hugs,
Linda

Janie Junebug said...

You have not forgotten how to write, my sweetheart. I promise.

Love,
Janie

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

Oh you still got it Jenny girl...that made me Laugh Out Loud!!! Keep on truckin'! Cathy

Stef said...

THat was me in the Mazarati! What? Didn't you see my 5 kids sqooshed in the back? No, wait. You were going to fast. That's why I sped up...to wave. But then you passed again. Sigh.

Theresa said...

Good for you Ms. Jenny:) I miss your humor! Keep popping that head out, we need to see you! I know you miss those Grandlittles, but they'll be back before you know it! Sending HUGS and PRAYERS your way!

GranthamLynn said...

You cracked me up. But that's all I can say I have to read the post about the horse.
Sorry I missed last week.
I'll see you Thursday. Or maybe Wednesday!
Smiles,
S.

Maureen Wyatt said...

Sometimes it happens and we lose our place, but no forever. This was pretty darned interesting for someone who says she forgot how to write!

Rita said...

Oh, it is so good to hear from you. :)
At least you knew it was a Mazarati. I wouldn't have a clue. I can't even find my own car in a parking lot--LOL! ;)

Gattina said...

Bravo ! Passing a Maserati is quite an accomplishment (unless it drove at 5 m/h, lol)

Monica said...

I'd love to sit in the back seat and ride along with you two on a road trip. I think I'd laugh a lot. :)

Beth said...

Thanks for poking your head back out. You put a big smile on my face.

Betty said...

OK, this sounds official. You're back!! You sound like your old self...even if you don't feel that way. I'm so glad you're writing three times a week.

I need to put a post-it note on my front door..."Clean this house or else!"

LindyLouMac said...

A post that made me smile, thanks Jenny :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely to hear from you. And what a fun post!

betty-NZ said...

We all have to do what we have to do! I think you are on the right track :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you posted that little purple note. Once out of that writing rhythm, it is hard to return, but I know you can do it!

Susan Anderson said...

Glad you're back to writing more often, Jenny. I am going to try to do the same. It's a good discipline for me. Keeps my brain awake! (-ish)

;)